Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Baby Hazard 3rd Edition

Livi Antonia was born at home with the rising sun at 6:30am on July 24, 2014. This was my first home birth. I'm so thankful for my healthy pregnancy, and the opportunity to birth on my own terms. Two nights before Livi arrived, my water started to leak. This was actually my first time experiencing anything in that department; Julian was born by cesarean, and Leo was born with his sac in tact. It didn't seem like my waters broke completely, but I would leak every now and then. I didn't get much sleep because I was excited, and I kept having to change my pants. I finally put on a big pad, and followed my midwife's advice to dose up on vitamin C to prevent infection. Throughout the next day I would leak from time to time, and I think it eventually stopped because our baby had lowered into position is my guess. I had no idea your waters compensate for leaks, and when I found that out I was relieved. I had this idea that Livi would run out of amniotic fluid. No, not the case. Anyway, my mom arrived at some point, and encouraged me to walk around the neighborhood and up and down the stairs, which is how I got labor going when I was pregnant with Leo. Day turned into night, and I wasn't having contractions yet. My cousin's came by to visit, and play with the kids. I can't remember what we ate, but there was food. Leopi, our midwife, came by on her way from another visit. This was around 7 or 8. I remember feeling overwhelmed with people being in my house, and having the ids running around. I look back, and realize that my body would not release until things were as they needed to be. Leopi, in all her experience, knew exactly what to do. She kindly suggested my cousins say goodbye, and that my mom help the kids get to bed. Then she told me to go to bed, and call her when she needed to come back. I went off to bed, and put off any other responsibility. It is pretty hard for me to do that, but I wasn't able to articulate it up to this point, and I am grateful for Leopi getting things the way they needed to be. It was around 11:30pm that I was woken up by strong contractions (of course in my back...I had all back labor during Leo's birth). Knowing how fast my labor went the last time, I figured to check in with Leopi. I told her it could be a couple hours, but the contractions were good and steady. She started making arrangements to head over. The next couple of hours I can remember tossing about on the couch, and trying the birthing ball. Nothing felt comfortable, but hugging the ball on all fours. I remember putting a towel out, and putting on Portlandia. It was funny enough to make me laugh during labor, but that was when things got really intense. I started dancing/marching around the dining room, and had some cheese and grapes because that's allowed when you birth at home. How lucky I felt to be having this experience. I think it was 3 or 4 in the morning now, and I could tell I was probably at a 6. Just a guess. I remember it getting it hard to stand, but laying down wasn't gonna be good either. That point...letting me know transition was on the horizon. Pressing on my forehead was not helping like it did last time, so Leopi told me to sway my hips while she put pressure on my lower back. Yes, that was helping. She suggested a warm shower. I struggled to get in, and the warmth was nice, but the contractions were big, and standing in a shower being wet didn't agree with me. I got out, put on a robe, and worked through as much as I could. Next thing I know I'm on the bed on all fours with the ball screaming 'help me!' Leopi got me breathing by having me say 'hooo haaaaa hooooo haaaa.' I asked if I was supposed to say 'haaa hoooo' or hoooo haaaaa.' Turns out it doesn't matter, and turns out it really works. This was transition. I went onto my side, and knew she was going to be born any minute. I felt her head. Leopi's assistant, Lael, arrived right then. Apparently, we did NOT leave the door unlocked like we were supposed to. Anyway, she was there in time to get warm towels, which felt like heaven to have down there. I pushed, and she came right out. Utter relief. Amazing. Oh my gosh. She was on my belly. The cord wouldn't allow for her to be up on my chest, so I just held her warm squishy body in place on my belly. After a few minutes, Adam cut the cord, and I pulled her up close to my head.