Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The last 6 months...(updated 2/13)

have been in one word, busy.

Julian started preschool in September and absolutely loves it. And I love being as involved as I can be since I am not working. It is around the corner from Adam's work which makes things pretty convenient. We had a parent-teacher meeting recently and his teacher said it seems like Julian has been there forever and is totally comfortable. He is learning more and more signs as his school is a center for early intervention of deafness, so hopefully he can communicate with Leo like that soon. Let's see, Julian turned 3 in November! And is potty trained! He teaches me new things everyday and sometimes it can be a challenge, but he is most importantly a very happy and hilarious little boy who still cuddles with us every now and then and gives us the silliest faces. He has been an amazing big brother to Leo. He "watches" him for me, likes to hold him and kiss him, and becomes more interested in him as Leo grows. We definitely do not take any of these blessings for granted! As I write this post, Julian is actually combating a stomach flu. Poor guy, I hope he gets better soon!

Leo is 6-and-a-half-months-old now! Cradle cap is a thing of the past, thankfully. We did shave his head since it got so severe, but his cute hair is finally growing back. In getting to know our little lion, we have found him to be somewhat serious and sensitive, and totally ticklish! He is obsessed with his big brother and laughs whenever Julian performs for him. Leo is really grabby right now...faces, hair, necklaces . And he has quite the grip! He is a big boy, tall and solid. He gets frustrated because he can't get up and walk. He isn't crawling or anything, but rolling like crazy and working on sitting up. It's pretty funny watching him slowly topple to the side. The solid food thing isn't sticking at the moment, but he seems to be getting enough from me anyway. He did have some of my artichoke last night, and liked it! He would probably rather eat our food. He gags with pureed food, and I don't blame him. Julian didn't mind though. And I am realizing that no two babies are the same! I naturally compare my boys, and EVERY time I find they are different. Because they are! I am so excited for them to have each other.

Adam and I are pretty overwhelmed, but I think that is a requirement for all parents. I have been battling postpartum depression and anxiety unfortunately, but am working at getting myself better every day. On the grand scale, I am MUCH better. Day to day though is a bit different. There are really good days and then there are the other ones. I must say that at the 6-month mark I feel like I have turned a corner or gotten used to the scenery, and I am more confident venturing out with the boys. I thought staying home would be easier, but that usually meant that Julian was guaranteed to have a meltdown from not getting all that energy out. I was so intimidated by the thought of getting everyone ready to go do something, but it only made things worse. Now I am addicted to getting as much sun as I can, and most days I find the strength to get myself and the kids together and get outside! So our days have been full lately, and I much prefer exhaustion to depression! Things are still cloudy, but we are seeing the sun peek out more often than not these days. Adam has been extremely patient with me, and so supportive. I have worn him down though I know, and we have lots to catch up on in our relationship. We are going bowling for Valentine's Day! A much needed date if I do say so.