We stayed at the hospital for 4 nights. The bed was the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on...I was so happy to get home! But I must say that I was well taken care of by everyone at UCSF. I had only one nurse that I didn't like too much because she couldn't figure out how to draw my blood. I think she stabbed me 4 times. Being at the hospital is kind of a blur to me. So much happened in those 4 days. Each day became easier after the surgery. And to distract me from the pain I had a beautiful baby to look at :)
Friday, December 5, 2008
Baby Love
The past 4 weeks have gone by so fast. As all of you know, Julian Clark Hazard was born via c-section on November 4, 2008 at 2:58pm. He weighed in at 6 pounds 11 ounces and measured 19 inches long. That day was the most exciting and scary day of my life. I keep playing the day over and over in my head. We checked into UCSF Labor & Delivery at noon. My mom, Uncle Hector and Aunt Laura were there as well. We all hung out in the triage room where they put in my IV. Time went by super fast and before I knew it I was walking through the big doors to the operating room. That is when I started to get nervous. The room was so white and bright with a big operating table right in the middle. It was very intimidating. I hopped onto the table and they made me drink a weird tasting antacid for my stomach. Next, the anesthesiologist administered my spinal. It felt like a bug bite and then a little bit of pressure. And all of a sudden my legs got heavy and very warm. They told me to get on my back and that's when the curtain went up. I got very shaky and emotional because Adam wasn't there to hold my hand and I was so anxious. Adam got there just in time to calm me back down. While i was behind the curtain freaking out they were prepping me and inserting a catheter. The anesthesiologist stayed by us the whole time and he was awesome. He kept checking on me and making sure I was stable. Nice guy didn't even tell me when they started cutting because he knew I was nervous. And then I remember him saying, "you're about to have a baby." Adam stood up and took photos of Julian being pulled out. I can't really explain what I felt when I heard him cry for the first time. Part of me was like, "there really was a baby in there." Adam was off...that baby got his attention and kept it from then on. He came back over to me for a second to tell me that Julian was perfect. We got to hang out as as a little family before Julian had to go to the nursery for tests and a bath. Adam will have to tell you about all that because I was stuck in the OR getting put back together. That took the most time...about 45 minutes. So the rest is all a blur as I was heavily medicated. I remember being wheeled through the hall to a recovery room and seeing visitors on the way. Lilli, Ed and Lois were there by then and so were Nixon and John Murillo. I was starving when I got to the room but they wouldn't let me eat! The nurse eventually let me have some crackers and apple juice. I was in heaven with those crackers. Oh Sarah and Megan arrived right before that I think. In the meantime dad and baby were still in the nursery and I was slowly gaining the feeling back in my legs. It wasn't long before I finally got to hold my baby boy. And shortly after that I got to see Adam give his first diaper change. My Aunt Laura just told me that upon seeing Adam open the wipes wrong I said, "Adam, it's like opening a package of oreos!" I think that's about all I remember from that day.
